At Belle Vue Primary School, we recognise the utmost importance of having a positive ethos around Mental Health and Wellbeing. The below pathway helps all staff understand what support is available and where further support, advice and guidance is able to be implemented to ensure that all pupils receive the right support, at the right time.
6 P Formulation
What is the problem? (Presenting)
- Why have you thought about discussing this person’s emotional wellbeing needs/what is the main problem they are experiencing?
- What impact is the problem having? Sleep/diet/social/life/family/friends
- How long has it been going on?
- How bad it is affecting their life (/10)
What keeps the problem going? (Perpetuating)
- What do you feel is maintaining the presenting issues?
- What support do you still feel needs to be put in place?
- Do they seek reassurance/avoid things etc.?
- How do they react?
Are there any significant events? (Predisposing)
- Any challenging or adverse experiences the YP/family have faced? Poverty/bereavement/substance abuse/bullying/trauma/suicide etc
- Any significant changes in family dynamics? Parental separation/moving area etc.
- Can you give a brief description of their developmental history? Disabilities/health problems/hospital admissions/developmental delay etc.
- Are there any family mental or physical concerns? What/when?
- Have they received support before? What/why/when?
What are the triggers (Precipitating)
- What happens?
- How have parents/carers/school responded to this?
- Where were they when it started?
- Who are they most likely to be with?
- What goes through their mind immediately before?
- How have parents/carers/school responded to the behaviour?
What is helping? (Proactive)
- What are the YP’s strengths?
- What are the strengths of the parents/carers/family/school/other agencies and/or positive progress they have made?
- Where is it better? School/home
- What helps them to cope/feel better?
What might happen if they don’t receive support (Predicting)
- What are peoples concerns about what will happen if we do not effectively address the presenting issues?
- What are you worried about/what do you think will happen if they don’t receive support?
- Are there any risks within the family?
- What do you think would be helpful?